In 1527, Spanish explorer Cabeza de Vaca and his small party became the first Europeans to cross the continent of North America. They were shipwrecked off Florida and enslaved by Native Americans for eight years before making their way back to Mexico. This is their thrilling story—based on original documents—of endurance against all odds and an astonishing journey of more than three thousand miles on foot through an unknown land.
For who is this book for ?
This book is for anyone who wants to read an epic story of adventure and survival. Cabeza de Vaca’s story is remarkable and Resendez does a great job of bringing it to life.
- Andres Resendez provides an exceptionally well-researched and eye-opening account of Cabeza de Vaca’s 8 year journey across America.
- The author does an excellent job of presenting the story in a way that is easy to follow, despite the complexity of the narrative.
- A Land So Strange offers readers a detailed perspective on Native American cultures and interactions with early European explorers
- The author doesn’t go into enough detail about the journey.
- The writing is dry and not interesting enough.
- It’s a bit too long for what it is.
Learn more about the author
Andres Resendez is a professor of history at the University of Texas, Austin. He is the author of several books, including Indians, Spaniards, and Africans in the Making of America and A History of Mexico.
“You will never forget the saga of Cabeza de Vaca or this marvelous book about it. Andres Resendez has reconstructed the story from original sources in an absolutely spellbinding manner.”
“An amazing story of survival and determination.”
“When I picked up A Land So Strange, I had no idea what to expect. What a great surprise it turned out to be! This book is the true story of Spanish explorer Cabeza de Vaca and his party’s harrowing journey across North America in 1527. Resendez does an amazing job of bringing this little-known piece of history to life, painting a vivid picture of the harsh conditions they faced and the incredible feats they accomplished. Absolutely fascinating!”
“This is a magnificent book. It brings to life an epic journey that few people know about and tells it in a way that makes you feel like you are right there with the travelers…I highly recommend A Land So Strange.”