Fans of Jacqueline Winspear’s marvelous Maisie Dobbs series will welcome the seventeenth book, A Sunlit Weapon. It begins in 1937 with England on the brink of war and ends with a dramatic cliffhanger that will leave readers eagerly waiting for Book 18. In between, Maisie is hired by wealthy socialite Lady Rowan Compton to investigate rumors that her husband may be having an affair with his secretary. As always, there are plenty of twists and turns asMaise tries to get to the bottom of things without causing too much disruption in high society circles. Along the way she crosses paths with some familiar faces, includingDr. Maurice Ives (the love interest from earlier books) and burgeoning detective Billy Beale.
For who is this book for ?
This book is for anyone who enjoys a good mystery with compelling characters. Jacqueline Winspear does an excellent job of creating believable storylines that always keep the reader guessing. Her knowledge and passion for history also shines through, giving readers a fascinating glimpse into life in England during the 1930s.
- The rich historical detail. Winspear does an amazing job of bringing 1930s England to life, from the fashion and architecture to the politics and social dynamics.
- The complex and well-drawn characters. Maisie is a wonderfully multi-layered protagonist, and Ives, Beale, Lady Rowan Compton, and all the other characters are equally compelling.
- The gripping plot with plenty of surprising twists
- The book is slow in the beginning
- Maisie can be a bit too nosy for her own good at times
- The ending leaves you wanting more
Learn more about the author
Jacqueline Winspear is the author of seventeen books in the Maisie Dobbs series, including her latest novel, A Sunlit Weapon. Originally from London, she now lives near San Francisco.
“This is one of the best mystery series I’ve read in a long time. The characters are rich and three dimensional, and Maisie Dobbs herself is an incredibly strong and compelling female lead.”
“A Sunlit Weapon is an excellent mystery with interesting characters and a great plot. I’m looking forward to the next book in the series.”
“Winspear’s novels are like precious gems.”
“A Sunlit Weapon is an excellent mystery. Jacqueline Winspear does a great job of mixing the themes of World War II with the personal lives of her characters…It’ll keep you hooked until the very end.”