A Walk in the Woods is a nonfiction book about American author Bill Bryson’s attempt to walk the entire length of the Appalachian Trail. The journey, which takes him from Georgia to Maine, proves more difficult than he anticipated and provides plenty of comic relief along the way.
For who is this book for ?
This book is for people who are interested in the outdoors and like to read about travel and adventure.
- The author’s dry wit and humor makes the book enjoyable to read.
- Bryson provides interesting historical tidbits about the Appalachian Trail and American history in general.
- The book is a good introduction to hiking for novice outdoorsmen/women.
- The author’s constant jokes and sarcastic remarks can be annoying after a while.
- The book is very long and could have been edited down somewhat.
- Some of the information about the trail itself is dense and boring for non-experts.
Learn more about the author
Bill Bryson is a bestselling American author who has written both fiction and nonfiction works. His most popular books include A Walk in the Woods, The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, and One Summer: America 1927.
“Bill Bryson is a hilarious writer and this book did not disappoint. I read it on a plane and had to put it away periodically so that I wouldn’t miss my stop because I was laughing so hard.”
” A Walk in the Woods is not only hilariously funny, but it’s also an informative and insightful look at America both past and present. Bill Bryson is a natural storyteller, and he does a superb job of bringing readers along on his journey down the Appalachian Trail.”
“This hilarious account of Bryson’s foray into hiking the Appalachian Trail is one of the most entertaining books I’ve read in a long time. With his sharp wit and self-deprecating humor, Bryson brings to life all the perils and unpredictable adventures that come with tackling such an epic journey. If you’re looking for an enjoyable escape from reality, look no further than A Walk in the Woods.”
“I can’t even begin to describe how much I loved this book. It was hilarious, informative, and heart-warming all at the same time.”