Thomas Rid’s Active Measures is an exposé of Russian disinformation and political warfare from the Cold War to the present day. Drawing on evidence from intelligence services, think tanks, journalists, whistleblowers and activists in Russia and around the world, Rid reveals how Moscow has developed a sophisticated system to spread its message using all available channels – including cyberwarfare, false flag operations, propaganda campaigns orthodox and social media trolls – with devastating effect. Rid shows that we are currently losing the information war against Russia; but he also offers ways to fight back. This important book provides essential reading for anyone who wants to understand one of the most pernicious threats facing democracies today.” – From the back cover of Active Measures.
For who is this book for ?
This book is for people who want to understand Russian disinformation and political warfare. It provides essential reading for those who want to know about one of the most pernicious threats facing democracies today.
- Active Measures provides an in-depth look at Russian disinformation and political warfare tactics.
- The book offers ways to fight back against Russia’s information war.
- It is essential reading for anyone who wants to understand the dangers of Russian disinformation.
- 1) The author tends tojump between time periods and topics which can be confusing.
- 2) There is a lot of technical information about computers and hacking that may be difficult for some readers to follow.
- 3) The book does not offer any solutions or strategies for how to combat Russian disinformation other than raising awareness.
Learn more about the author
“Mr. Rid has written a well-documented and chilling history of Russian active measures… Mr. Rid offers ways to improve our defenses, especially in the arena of information warfare.”
“A wake-up call for all who believe that Russia is a legitimate opponent on the world stage.”
“Tom Rid has written an essential handbook on the topic of Russian active measures. It is a sobering and chilling read, but also full of important insights into how we can start to push back against this global menace.”
“Every informed person needs to read this book”