This book offers a fresh perspective on how computer science can be used to inform and optimise human decision-making. It is based on the idea that algorithms are not just for computers, but can also be applied to our own lives. The author demonstrates this by exploring a range of scenarios in which well-designed algorithms can help us make better choices, from dating and job hunting to financial planning and health care management.
For who is this book for ?
This book is for computer science enthusiasts who want to learn more about how their theories can be applied to real-world situations. It also offers valuable advice for anyone who wants to make better decisions in their everyday lives.
- The author provides a fresh perspective on how computer science can be used to inform and optimise human decision-making.
- The book is based on the idea that algorithms are not just for computers, but can also be applied to our own lives.
- The author demonstrates this by exploring a range of scenarios in which well-designed algorithms can help us make better choices.
- The author’s examples may be too specific to resonate with a wide audience.
- The book may be seen as promoting a ‘technological solution’ to human decision-making, when in fact many of the problems it addresses are complex and need more holistic approaches.
- It is difficult to judge how effective the algorithms presented really are without trying them out for oneself.
Learn more about the author
Brian Christian is a journalist, computer scientist and author. He has written for The Atlantic, Wired and the New York Times Magazine, among others.
“If you’re looking for a well written, approachable book on how to make better decisions using computer science principles, then look no further.”
“A fascinating dive into the application of computer science to human life. If you want to get nerdy about how best to optimize your decisions, this is the book for you!”
“An impressive tour of computer science applications to daily life… If you’re looking for a better understanding of how algorithms work and why they’re important, this book is definitely worth your time.”
“An enlightening, thoroughly researched, and eminently practical book on how the principles of computer science can help us live better lives. If you want to know why algorithms work – and don’t work – as well as they do, read this book.”