In American Dirt, author Jeanine Cummins tells the story of a Mexican mother and her young son who attempt to cross into the United States in order to escape from their violent home country. Along the way, they are met with challenges at every turn, but ultimately find strength in one another as they strive to make it to safety. Oprah Winfrey has now selected American Dirt as her next book club selection, so be sure not to miss out on this incredible new title!
For who is this book for ?
If you’re looking for an engrossing, page-turning mystery with a timely and important message, then American Dirt is definitely the book for you. Cummins does an excellent job of portraying the harsh realities faced by many immigrants who are simply trying to find a better life for themselves and their families.
- The story is incredibly powerful and moving, giving a unique perspective on the ongoing immigration crisis.
- The characters are well-drawn and relatable, making the reader feel invested in their journey.
- The writing is lyrical and evocative, drawing readers into the world of Mexico and its people
- The author’s depiction of Mexico and its people may be offensive to some readers.
- The book can be extremely violent and gory in sections.
- It is a long read, totaling over 400 pages.
Learn more about the author
Jeanine Cummins is the author of American Dirt, which has been selected as Oprah Winfrey’s next book club selection. She is also the co-founder of PEN America’s #BeAnAmerican Literary Campaign and a founding member of VIDA: Women in Literary Arts.
“Jeanine Cummins has created a tour de force – a novel that is both intimate and epic, heartbreaking and hopeful. American Dirt will stay with me for a long time.”
“American Dirt is an incredible novel – a page-turner that will stay with you long after you finish reading. Cummins has written a story of heartbreak and hope, highlighting the resilience of the human spirit.”
“American Dirt is a harrowing, yet beautiful tale of one mother’s fight to keep her son safe. It will stay with you long after the last page is turned.”
“Amazing…gripping, heart-wrenching and powerful.”