When Cary Elwes was sixteen years old, he landed a starring role in The Princess Bride, the hit movie directed by Rob Reiner and based on the beloved book by William Goldman. As You Wish recounts Elwes’s memories of making the film—from his audition to his close friendship with Robin Wright (she taught him how to fence), from learning about life as a Hollywood starlet to experiencing extreme weather during shooting in England. Elwes also shares never-before-seen photos and handwritten letters from cast and crew, giving readers an intimate look at behind-the-scenes moments. In addition, he talks about postproduction; revealing howDisney altered the movie for its release before finally agreeing to restore Reiner’s original vision for home video releases over two decades later. But that’s not all! As You Wish features removable memorabilia such as posters, scripts, storyboards ,and costume sketches – plus facsimiles of Cary’s own handpainted calligraphy specially created for this edition.
For who is this book for ?
This book is for anyone who loves the movie The Princess Bride, or simply wants to know what it was like behind-the-scenes. Cary Elwes shares some never before seen photos and handwritten letters from cast and crew as well as stories about postproduction.
- Cary Elwes is a great storyteller
- The book is filled with beautiful rare photos and memorabilia from the film production
- It offers an intimate look at the making of this classic movie
- Some readers may find the author’s self-promotion to be grating.
- The book lacks substance and feels more like a scrapbook or photo album of behind-the-scenes stories and anecdotes rather than a comprehensive look at the making of The Princess Bride.
- “As You Wish” is disappointingly light on details about Elwes’ personal life, such as his thoughts on auditioning for, being cast in, and working with Reiner
Learn more about the author
Cary Elwes is an actor and writer best known for his roles in The Princess Bride, Robin Hood: Men in Tights, and Saw. He has also written two books, As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride andco-authored another with Joe Layden,.
“The author does a magnificent job of taking the reader through his recollections and experiences while making this movie. The level of detail is incredible, but it’s never overwhelming. There are plenty of personal anecdotes interwoven with stories about everyone from Rob Reiner to MandyPatinkin to Andre the Giant.”
“This book is amazing – a must-read for any fan of The Princess Bride.”
“This book is a joy to read. Cary Elwes writes with humor and insight about his experiences making The Princess Bride, one of the most beloved movies ever made. If you’re a fan of the film, or just want to know more about how it was made, this book is for you.”
“A must-read for any fan of The Princess Bride.”