Trevor Noah’s “Born a Crime” is an engrossing, well-written look at the comedian’s upbringing in apartheid South Africa. The stories are often funny, but they also offer insights into the unique challenges faced by mixed race children during that time and place. While some of the material may be familiar to fans of Noah’s standup comedy or his previous work as a Daily Show correspondent, there is plenty here that will be new to even those who think they know everything about him.
For who is this book for ?
“Born a Crime” is for anyone with an interest in history, comedy, or biography – but especially for those who want to learn more about South Africa’s unique and complex past.
- Trevor Noah has a unique and interesting perspective, as he was born to white Swiss parents during apartheid South Africa.
- The stories are often funny, but they also offer insights into the unique challenges faced by mixed race children during that time and place.
- There is plenty here that will be new to even those who think they know everything about him.
- The book can be repetitive at times
- It’s sometimes difficult to follow Noah’s convoluted family history
- Some of the stories are depressing
Learn more about the author
Trevor Noah is a stand-up comedian, television host, writer, and actor from South Africa. He is best known for his role as a correspondent on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and as the host of Comedy Central’s The Late Show with Trevor Noah.
“5/5 stars. Absolutely loved it! Laugh-out-loud funny, eye opening, and poignant – a thoroughly enjoyable read.”
“Trevor Noah’s Born a Crime is riveting and often hilarious.”
“I’m not sure who I was rooting for more, Trevor or his mother. This is a brilliantly written, funny and harrowing book about surviving against all odds. Born a Crime is an amazing story of resilience in the face of oppression and also a very personal look at the making of one comedian.”
“This was an amazing book! I laughed, I cried, and I got a much deeper insight into South Africa during apartheid. Trevor Noah is a brilliant storyteller.”