In Children of Blood and Bone, Tomi Adeyemi tells the story of Zelie, a young girl who must rediscover her magic to overthrow the monarchy that has oppressed her people for generations. With shamans on her side and a prince by her side, Zelie will stop at nothing to restore justice to Orïsha.
For who is this book for ?
This book is for teen and young adult readers who are interested in fantasy, adventure, and romance. Zelie must use her magical powers to overthrow a monarchy that has oppressed her people for generations. With shamans on her side and a prince by her side, she will stop at nothing to restore justice to Orïsha.
- The protagonist, Zelie, is a strong and determined young woman who doesn’t give up easily.
- The worldbuilding in this book is incredible; Adeyemi has crafted an intricate and vibrant setting that readers will love getting lost in.
- The plot is fast paced and exciting, with plenty of action to keep pages turning.
- The world-building is sparse
- The characters are one-dimensional
- The ending is too abrupt
Learn more about the author
Tomi Adeyemi is an author of young adult fiction. She was born in Lagos, Nigeria, but spent her childhood in the United States and Mexico. Her debut novel, Children of Blood and Bone, will be published March 6th by Henry Holt Books for Young Readers.
“I flew through this book!”
“A story that is a joy to read and impossible to put down.”
“This book. THIS BOOK! It was fantastic!!! I loved it so much, and Zelie is now one of my favorite characters of all time. The world building was incredible, the plot was action-packed and suspenseful, the relationships were believable and heartwarming, the writing style was absolutely mesmerizing… just everything about this book blew me away.”
“Adeyemi’s debut novel is a magical African story that will stay with you long after the last page.”