Coach K is the inside story of Mike Krzyzewski’s legendary rise to college basketball coaching immortality. From his early days as an unappreciated assistant at Army to his current status as one of the most respected and successful coaches in sports history, Coach K chronicles it all. O’Connor offers readers a rare glimpse into what makes Krzyzewski tick and provides never-before-told stories about some of college hoops’ biggest stars, including Patrick Ewing, Christian Laettner, Grant Hill, Shane Battier, Carmelo Anthonyand Kobe Bryant. This book is for any fan of sports or history. It tells the story not just of how Coach K became a great coach but also gives insights into why he was able to achieve so much success with different teams and players over such a long period of time.
For who is this book for ?
This book is for any fan of sports or history. It tells the story not just of how Coach K became a great coach but also gives insights into why he was able to achieve so much success with different teams and players over such a long period of time.
- The author does a great job of giving insight into Coach K’s life and showing how he became one of the most successful coaches in history.
- The book is filled with never-before-told stories about some of college hoops’ biggest stars.
- It provides an interesting look at what makes Krzyzewski tick and why he has been so successful for such a long period of time.
- It is quite long, so might not be suitable for someone who doesn’t have a lot of time
- Not everyone will be interested in the detailed technicalities of basketball coaching
- Some of the earlier parts of Coach K’s life (before he became a coach) may not be as interesting to some readers
Learn more about the author
Ian O’Connor is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine and author of the New York Times bestseller, Sebatsian Junger’s War. He lives in West Hartford, Connecticut.
“Ian O’Connor has written the definitive Coach K biography–painstakingly researched, elegantly told and filled with insights that only a longtime observer of Krzyzewski could provide. If you’re looking for one book to understand The Duke basketball dynasty, this is it.”
“Coach K is a must-read for any basketball fan, from the casual observer to the diehard fanatic. But even if you couldn’t pick Mike Krzyzewski out of a lineup, this book offers an interesting and informative look at what makes one of sports’ most successful coaches tick. Ian O’Connor does an excellent job getting beyond the X’s and O’s to explore Coach K’s motivations, methods, and mind-set–not only as they pertain to coaching but also as they’ve contributed to his enduring personal relationships.”
“If you’re a fan of college basketball, Coach K is a must-read. It’s one thing to know about Coach K’s legendary career and accomplishments, but it’s another thing altogether to hear the stories directly from him. This book provides an inside look at what makes Coach K one of the most successful coaches in history.”
“If you want to learn about one of the most successful coaches in basketball history, Coach K is a must-read. Ian O’Connor does an excellent job of telling Coach K’s story and detailing his many accomplishments.”