Dilla Time is the definitive biography of J Dilla, one of hip-hop’s most influential producers. It tells the story of how Jay Dee emerged from Detroit’s underground music scene to become one of the most inventive and acclaimed artists in popular music. Published after his death in 2006 at age 32, it features original interviews with Dilla’s family, friends, and collaborators—including Common, Questlove, Madlib, Erykah Badú , Busta Rhymes . . . even Pharrell Williams—and offers an intimate look inside Dillehaaven studio ISBN: 9780871319639 Publication Date: 01 / 04 / 2006 Dimensions:.
For who is this book for ?
The biography of J Dilla is for the music enthusiast who wants to know more about the hip-hop producer’s life and afterlife. It offers descriptions of his Detroit underground music scene and how he emerged as one of popular music’s most inventive and acclaimed artists. Featuring interviews with those who knew him best, it provides an intimate look inside his studio.
- Dan Charnas is a great writer and tells the story of J Dilla in a way that is interesting and easy to read
- The book contains interviews with many people who knew and worked with Dilla, giving readers an inside look into his life and music
- Dilla was a very creative musician whose influence can be heard in modern hip-hop, R&B, and other genres, so this book is sure to interest music fans
- The author tries to cover too much ground in the book, making it difficult to follow at times.
- There are some sections that could have used more depth or detail.
- The structure of the book can be a bit confusing, with some chapters appearing to be out of order.
Learn more about the author
Dan Charnas is an author, award-winning journalist and producer. He was a music columnist for The Village Voice from 1987 to 1994, producing the first cover stories on artists like Nas, Puff Daddy, and Lauryn Hill. He has also written for Rolling Stone, GQ, Spin,, Vibe MoeardianDispatch),and Complexamong others. His previous book wasThe Big Payback: the History of the Business of Hip-Hop.
“Dan Charnas has written an essential book on the life and music of J Dilla. It is not only a great read, but also provides incredible insight into one of the most important producers in hip-hop history.”
” Dan Charnas has done an excellent job in creating a complete picture of one of the most innovative and respected producers in hip-hop history. “
“Charnas has written an exhaustive and perceptive biography of Jay Dee, whose innovative production techniques have influenced everyone from A Tribe Called Quest to Kanye West.”
“Dilla Time is essential reading for any fan of J Dilla, hip-hop, or music in general.”