Enlightenment Now is a passionate argument for reason, science, humanism, and progress. Steven Pinker makes the case that the Enlightenment ideals of rational thought and empirical observation are still the best way to understand reality and improve our world. He offers a clear eyed assessment of current controversies, from Trump’s victory to Brexit to global warming, while highlighting successes such as plummeting poverty rates and increasing life expectancy. Enlightenment Now is an urgent reminder that we must recommit ourselves to these values in order maintain our democracy and humanity.
For who is this book for ?
This book is for people who want to make the world a better place. It’s an argument for reason, science, humanism and progress – things that can help us improve our society. Pinker offers a clear eyed assessment of current controversies and highlights successes such as plummeting poverty rates and increasing life expectancy.
- Enlightenment Now provides a clear argument for the benefits of reason, science, humanism, and progress.
- The book is well researched and Pinker backs up his points with evidence.
- Enlightenment Now is an important reminder that we need to strengthen these values in order to improve our world.
- The author’s points can be repetitive
- The book is long and may not hold the attention of all readers
- Some readers may disagree with the author’s views
Learn more about the author
“A persuasive case for reason, science, humanism and progress…Enlightenment Now is not only a good read; it’s also an important book.”
“A passionate and convincing case for science, humanism and progress.”
“A meticulously researched and cogently argued case for the power of Enlightenment ideals in the modern world.”
“A monumental work…that will change the way you see the world and your place in it.”