Nicholas Kardaras PhD, a clinical professor of psychiatry at Stony Brook University and an addiction specialist, provides a shocking look at how technology is rewiring our kids’ brains—with potentially disastrous consequences. Dr. Kardaras explains that young people are increasingly becoming addicted to screens—smartphones, tablets, TVs—and the glow of digital devices is literally rewiring their developing brains in detrimental ways. He offers powerful case studies of children and teens who have become hooked on screen activities and describes the neurological effects these technologies are having on kids’ cognitive development, social interactions, emotional resilience, academic skillset- even their physical health (including increases in obesity rates). Screen addiction is quickly becoming one of the most serious public health crises we face as a nation today. Dr. Kardaras provides clear steps we can take as parents to help break our children’s obsession with screens before it’s too late.
For who is this book for ?
This book is for parents who are worried about their children’s screen addiction and want to learn how to help break the trance.
- The author provides clear steps we can take as parents to help break our children’s obsession with screens.
- The book contains powerful case studies of children and teens who have become hooked on screen activities.
- The neurological effects these technologies are having on kids’ cognitive development, social interactions, emotional resilience, academic skillset
- even their physical health (including increases in obesity rates) are described in detail.
- The author is biased as he is a clinical professor of psychiatry
- The book relies heavily on case studies which may or may not be accurate
- It’s hard to take action steps from the book because they are mostly general
Learn more about the author
Nicholas Kardaras, PhD, is a clinical professor of psychiatry at Stony Brook University and an addiction specialist. He has contributed to The New York Times, Salon, Psychology Today, Huffington Post , and other publications. Glow Kids is his first book.
“Glow Kids is a necessary book! As the mother of a teenager, I feel like I’ve been waiting for this information my whole life. Nicholas Kardaras offers concrete ways to understand and deal with the technological trance our children are falling into.”
“Glow Kids is one of the most important books about our children’s futures that I have ever read. Nicholas Kardaras brings a level of research and insight to this topic that should make all parents terrified for their kids–and grateful for Dr. Kardaras’ clearheaded advice on how we can protect them.”
“I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Nicholas Kardaras offers an in-depth, well researched, and compelling look at how screens are changing the way our children think, feel, and interact with the world around them.”
“Glow Kids is a great resource for concerned parents, educators and policy makers. Kardaras does an excellent job of reviewing the research on how screens are impacting young people’s brains and developing social skills. He provides practical tips for limiting screen time and ways to help kids shift their focus back to creative play.”