The Cain Casey series is a set of LGBTQ+ novels written by Ali Vali. The first book, “Heart of the Devil,” follows Cain as he moves to New Orleans and falls in with a group of queer activists who are fighting for change in their city. As he gets more involved in their work, Cain also finds himself drawn into a passionate affair with one of the leaders of the group, Nash. But when violence flares up against the queer community, they must all come together to face down enemies from within and without.
For who is this book for ?
This book is perfect for anyone who enjoys LGBTQ+ themed novels, set in a passionate and intense New Orleans setting.
- The characters are well-drawn and engaging
- The plot is compelling and fast-paced
- “Heart of the Devil” tackles important issues in a thoughtful way
- The book may be too explicit for some readers.
- It may be difficult to follow the plot if one is not familiar with LGBTQ+ history and terminology.
- The characters are very driven and passionate, which can make them difficult to relate to at times
Learn more about the author
Ali Vali is a Lambda Literary Award-winning author of LGBTQ+ romance and mystery novels. She lives in New Orleans with her husband and their two dogs.
“A moving and powerful story that shows the strength of love in the face of danger and hate.”
“This book was amazing! I couldn’t put it down. The characters were so well written and their story was compelling.”
“The characters are richly drawn and the plot is compelling. I could not put it down!”
“A rich, compelling read that brings the city of New Orleans to life. The characters are believable and multi-dimensional, and I found myself rooting for them all as they struggle against oppression both big and small. This is a story with heart–and nerve.”