In the Kingdom of Ice is a nonfiction book written by Hampton Sides. The book tells the story of the USS Jeannette, an American polar exploration vessel that became stranded in icepack in 1879 and was ultimately consumed by Arctic Ocean waters. Through meticulous research and vivid storytelling, Sides brings to life the harrowing journey undertaken by Captain George W. De Long and his crew on their quest for scientific knowledge about one of Earth’s most remote regions.
For who is this book for ?
This book is perfect for anyone interested in adventure, travel, and/or historical nonfiction. Hampton Sides does an excellent job of bringing to life the challenges and dangers faced by De Long and his crew as they journeyed into uncharted waters, providing readers with a thrilling tale of exploration and survival.
- Hampton Sides is a masterful storyteller, and In the Kingdom of Ice is no exception.
- The book provides a detailed account of the Jeannette’s ill-fated polar voyage, painting a vivid picture of the hardships faced by De Long and his crew.
- It offers an interesting perspective on 19th century Polar exploration, which remains relatively obscure to most people today.
- The author does a great job of transporting the reader to the Arctic, but at times the high level of detail can be overwhelming.
- The book is occasionally slowed down by exhaustive scientific explanations about climate and geography.
- Despite being nonfiction, some parts of the story are too fantastic to be believable.
Learn more about the author
Hampton Sides is an award-winning American author, historian, and journalist. He is a contributing editor at Outside magazine and the editorial director of Radiolab (a public radio show produced by WNYC). In the Kingdom of Ice is his fourth book.
“In the Kingdom of Ice is a riveting, edge-of-your-seat account of American heroism and determination in the face of almost certain death. Hampton Sides has written a brilliant chronicle of exploration and adventure that will keep you turning pages until the very end.”
“In the Kingdom of Ice is a compulsively readable, edge-of-your-seat adventure story. Hampton Sides has created an unforgettable account of humans struggling to survive in one of the most unforgiving environments on Earth.”
“In the Kingdom of Ice is a compulsively readable and vividly detailed account of one of history’s most ill-fated polar expeditions. Hampton Sides has crafted a marvelous tale full of heroism and hubris, tragedy and adventure, science and sheer stubbornness.”
“In the Kingdom of Ice is a spellbinding, edge-of-your-seat account of one of history’s most harrowing voyages. Hampton Sides has crafted an absolutely brilliant masterpiece.”