In the Shadow of the Cross is a biblical theology of persecution and discipleship. Written by Glenn Penner, the book explores how Christians should respond when they experience oppression or violence because of their faith. Drawing on key passages from both the Old and New Testaments, Penner offers readers a profound understanding of what it means to be followers of Jesus Christ.
For who is this book for ?
In the Shadow of the Cross is for Christians who are looking for a deeper understanding of how to respond when they experience persecution or violence because of their faith. The book draws on key passages from both the Old and New Testaments, offering readers a profound understanding of what it means to be followers of Jesus Christ.
- Penner’s book is based on biblical passages which makes it more trustworthy.
- The author offers readers a profound understanding of what it means to be followers of Jesus Christ.
- This book would be beneficial for Christians who are experiencing persecution or violence because of their faith.
- It is dense and may be difficult for some readers to follow.
- It does not offer specific action steps that people can take in the face of persecution.
- The author’s point of view may be too conservative for some readers.
Learn more about the author
Glenn Penner is a professor of theology and Missions at Providence Christian College in Pasadena, CA. He has written several books on biblical theology and discipleship, including In the Shadow of the Cross.
“In the Shadow of the Cross is a timely and much-needed book. Glenn Penner offers readers an insightful, biblical theology of persecution and discipleship that is both wise and inspirational. This is must reading for all Christians who desire to faithfully follow Jesus Christ in a world that often seems hostile to Him.”
“In the Shadow of the Cross is a excellent book. It helped me to understand what it means to be persecuted for my faith, and how I should respond.”
“This book is a must-read for all Christians! It provides an in-depth biblical look at persecution and discipleship, showing us how to follow Jesus no matter what life throws our way. Highly recommended!”
“This is an excellent book. It is well written, insightful and thought-provoking. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in Christian discipleship.”