In Lies My Teacher Told Me, Dr. James Loewen takes a critical look at twelve popular American history textbooks and shows how each one distorts our understanding of the past. marshaling evidence from primary sources to debunk such myths as Christopher Columbus’s arrival in America was an unqualified success, George Washington was a mythic hero who never told a lie, and Franklin Roosevelt led America through its greatest crisis using nothing but his charm and good looks, Loewen offers an eye-opening critique of United States history that will have students everywhere rethinking what they were taught in school. Now fully updated with new material on 9/11, Iraq War 2K+, Abu Ghraib torture photos controversy (was USA really trying to find Weapons of Mass Destruction?), Hurricane Katrina debacle & more!
For who is this book for ?
Lies My Teacher Told Me, 2nd Edition is for students who want to learn more about their history in a critical and questioning way. The book doesn’t just point out the flaws of American history textbooks; it offers solutions and alternatives for how we can move forward with our understanding of the past.
- Dr. James Loewen is a highly respected author and educator
- The book offers a fresh, critical perspective on American history that is sorely needed
- The new material included in the updated edition makes it more relevant than ever
- The author is biased against some of the textbooks that he reviews.
- The book may be too dense and academic for general readers.
- The book is outdated, as it does not include recent events such as 9/11 or Hurricane Katrina.
Learn more about the author
James W. Loewen, a sociologist, is the author of Lies My Teacher Told Me and The Sunnier Side of History. He is also on the Advisory Board for Scholastic’s “Storyworks” magazine.
“This is the best history book I’ve ever read.”
“A convincing critique of conventional wisdom about American history”
“This is one of the most important books I have ever read. Loewen has single-handedly debunked many of the myths we were taught in school about our country’s history.”
“If you want to read the truth about U.S. history, this is the book for you.”