In Naturally Tan, Tan France tells his origin story as a gay man of Pakistani descent. He dishes on everything from the first time he realized he was different to what life is like as one of the few people of color in the fashion industry. Featuring stories about family, friends, and fitting in—or not—Naturally Tan is a funny, thoughtful, and inclusive look at one man’s quest to find himself in an often-times hostile world.
For who is this book for ?
Naturally Tan is a memoir for LGBTQ+ readers who are interested in finding out what life is like for someone of Pakistani descent. The book discusses many topics that may be important to this group, such as family, friends, and fitting in (or not). It also provides some insight into the fashion industry, which may be of interest to anyone looking to break into this field.
- Tan France is the star of Netflix’s “Queer Eye” and he tells his origin story in this book.
- The author writes honestly about growing up gay in a hostile world, which gives readers insight into LGBTQ+ life.
- This book has inclusive content that will be interesting to readers from all walks of life.
- The author spends too much time discussing his personal life and not enough on fashion
- The book does not delve deep into any one topic, but instead is a superficial overview of the author’s life
- Some readers may find the discussion of Pakistani culture to be irrelevant or inaccessible
Learn more about the author
Tan France is a fashion designer and the co-host of Netflix’s hit show Queer Eye. He was born in England to Pakistani parents, and his experiences as a gay man of color have been a major source of inspiration for his work. Tan lives in New York City with his husband Rob Taylor.
“In the pages of Naturally Tan, France tells his story with humor and authenticity. His book is a must-read for anyone who wants to understand what it means to be LGBTQ+ and Pakistani in America.”
“Naturally Tan is more than just a memoir. It’s the story of one man who realized his true potential by embracing everything that makes him unique. I laughed, I cried, and I thoroughly enjoyed every page.”
“A funny, heartfelt memoir about one man’s journey to find himself.”
“A beautifully written, poignant and funny memoir.”