In Never Quit, PJ and Navy SEAL Jimmy Settle tells the harrowing stories of his experiences as a Special Ops Pararescue jumper, from being shot down behind enemy lines in Afghanistan to pulling residents to safety during Hurricane Katrina. With unflinching honesty and trademark wit, he describes the adrenaline-pumping excitement of combat as well as the loneliness and isolation that come with top secret missions. Through it all, Settle never wavers from his creed: “Never quit.” This is an intensely personal account of one man’s experiences as a soldier and humanitarian.
For who is this book for ?
This book is for anyone who wants to gain a better understanding of the human experience under extreme circumstances. It provides readers with an intimate glimpse into the life of a Special Ops Pararescue jumper, from his harrowing experiences in Afghanistan to his work rescuing residents during Hurricane Katrina.
- The author has a trademark wit that makes the book enjoyable to read.
- The stories are intense and personal, providing a unique perspective on combat and humanitarian work.
- The book is inspiring, showing that it is possible to never quit no matter how tough things get.
- The author spends too much time discussing his own emotional reactions to events, rather than describing what happened
- The book feels like a series of unrelated vignettes, rather than a coherent story
- There is very little detail in the descriptions of action scenes
Learn more about the author
Navy SEAL Jimmy Settle is one of the most highly decorated PJs in history, with more than 150 combat missions to his credit. He has been awarded four Bronze Stars (two with Valor), a Purple Heart, and other military accolades.
“I couldn’t put it down. This is a brutally honest and introspective look at the life of an elite special ops soldier..”
“This is a great book! If you are looking for an account of Special Ops missions that also provides insights into the inner workings and culture of these units, then this is the book for you. Settle does not shy away from describing the high-risk, intense nature of his work, but he balances this with humor and self-effacing humility. The result is an engaging read.”
“Absolutely fantastic read! Could not put it down. Jimmy is a true inspiration!”
“This is a very intense and personal account of one man’s experiences as a soldier and humanitarian. It is harrowing, exciting, funny, and touching all at the same time. I thoroughly enjoyed it.”