This book tells the story of how Portuguese traders first arrived in Macau and set up a small settlement there, which eventually became known as China’s gambling paradise. It provides an interesting look at the history of this unique region and its people, as well as their influence on Chinese culture.
For who is this book for ?
This book is for anyone interested in the history of Macau, as well as its influence on Chinese culture.
- The author provides an interesting look at the history of Portuguese Macau and its people.
- The book is well-written and easy to read.
- It offers a unique perspective on Chinese culture.
- The author could have provided more in-depth information about certain aspects of the history of Portuguese Macau.
- The book may be too dense for some readers who are not interested in historical detail.
- Some pictures or illustrations would have been helpful to illustrate points made in the text.
Learn more about the author
Kelly Mass is an American journalist who has written extensively about Asia. She has lived in Japan and China, where she studied Mandarin Chinese at Peking University.
“This book provides a well-rounded and fascinating account of how Portuguese traders established Macau as China’s gambling capital. It is extensively researched and richly detailed, painting a vivid portrait of the many cultures that came together in this unique corner of the world.”
“If you’re at all interested in China, or just world history in general, then pick this one up. You will not regret it.”
“If you want to know about how Macau became the Vegas of Asia, then this is the book for you. Kelly Mass does a great job of tracing the history of Portuguese influence in Macau and explaining how it led to the rise of gambling and tourism.”
“This book was really interesting. I had never heard of Macau before, and it’s cool to learn about how it became a gambling paradise.”