In the year 2045, the world is a bleak and scary place. The only escape is the virtual world of the OASIS, where people can be anyone they want to be and do anything they want to do. When the creator of the OASIS dies, he leaves behind a challenge for anyone who wants to inherit his fortune: find Easter eggs hidden inside the OASIS that will lead them to his treasure. Wade Watts is determined to win this game, but he’s not alone—everyone in the world is trying to solve the Easter eggs’ clues.
For who is this book for ?
This book is for people who love science fiction and fantasy. It’s set in a dystopian future, where the only escape is the virtual world of the OASIS.
- The book is set in a world that is very different from our own, and Cline does an amazing job of creating this believable future society.
- The adventure element of the story is really exciting, and kept me hooked until the end.
- Wade Watts is a great protagonist; he’s sympathetic but also strong and determined, which makes him easy to root for.
- The book is very long and may be too dense for some readers.
- The story can get a little repetitive at times.
- Some of the 1980s pop culture references may be unfamiliar to younger readers
Learn more about the author
Ernest Cline is a screenwriter, filmmaker, and author. He wrote the screenplay for the film Fanboys (2009), about a group of Star Wars fans who try to break into George Lucas’s Skywalker Ranch to steal an early copy of The Phantom Menace .Cline was born in Austin, Texas, in 1972.
“Ready Player One is the virtual reality thriller of the century! Set in a dark and scary future world, this book will keep you on the edge of your seat as you follow Wade Watts on his quest to find hidden Easter eggs inside the OASIS that lead to a fortune. With cutting-edge technology and nonstop action, Ready Player One is an adventure that anyone can get lost in.”
“Ready Player One is an action-packed, edge-of-your seat thrill ride that will take you to places you never thought possible. Cline infuses the story with pop culture nods and nostalgia that make this book a must read for anyone who grew up in the eighties.”
“Cline has created a novel that is both nostalgic and refreshingly new….A shining example of what science fiction should be.”
“Ernest Cline’s Ready Player One is a geeky, action-packed thrill ride that made me nostalgic for my favorite childhood video games and excited to see where the future of gaming takes us.”