Red Notice is the true story of financial executive Bill Browder’s odyssey from idealistic young investor to capitalist Russia insider to dissidents-in-exile. It exposes the hidden underside of Vladimir Putin’s regime and the reckless greed that has driven Russian politics for two decades. Browder was an honest player in a dishonest game, and when he blew the whistle on government corruption, he found himself targeted by some of Russia’s most powerful people. They unleashed a relentless campaign against him: smear campaigns in parliament and in the media; plots to frame him as a criminal or terrorist; failed kidnapping attempts; tax audits ; illegal asset freezes ; bogus lawsuits . . . In desperation, Browder turned to Washington for help but ran into a brick wall of indifference. Finally, with echoes of Kafka and Solzhenitsyn, justice caught up with Bill Browder–in Moscow courtroom 678.
For who is this book for ?
Red Notice is for anyone interested in understanding Vladimir Putin’s Russia, how business works there, and the potential perils of investing in a frontier economy.
- Red Notice is a thrilling, true-life detective story that URLs the inner workings of Putin’s Russia and exposes the ruthless tactics used by Browder’s enemies.
- The reader gains unparalleled insights into the Russian economy, politics, and media landscape while also learning about investment strategies and morality in high finance.
- Browder tells his remarkable story with candor, wit, and unbridled passion for justice–making Red Notice an essential read for anyone interested in international affairs or contemporary history.”
- The book is written in a dry, journalistic style that makes for difficult reading
- It’s long and detailed, with little action or suspense to keep the reader interested
- Browder can be self-righteous at times and it’s easy to lose patience with his story
Learn more about the author
Bill Browder, grandson of Earl Browder, the former leader of the American Communist party, was born in Chicago and raised in London. He received a degree in economics from Stanford University and an M.B.A. from Harvard Business School before working on Wall Street for two decades. An advocate for human rights and democracy, he served as CEO of Hermitage Capital Management Ltd., one of Russia’s largest investment firms with over $4 billion invested in Russian stocks at its peak.
“Red Notice is a crime drama, financial thriller, and political memoir that reads like the best fiction. Bill Browder does an amazing job of weaving in his own personal story while also giving fascinating insights into Russian politics and finance.”
” This book is a real-life thriller that reads like fiction. “
“Red Notice is an extraordinary tale of greed and corruption . . .”
“I could not put this book down. The story of Bill Browder is an amazing tale of corruption and murder, but also one man’s brave fight for justice. This should be required reading for anyone who wants to understand Russia today.”