In Restoring Reason, Travis M. Corcoran applies the ancient liberal arts tradition to defend against modern manipulation. He argues that by understanding how arguments are made and persuasion is achieved, we can protect ourselves from being misled or taken advantage of. Using real-world examples – from advertising to politics – Corcoran explains how the tools of logic, rhetoric, and dialectic can help us see through manipulative tactics and make sound decisions based on evidence and reason. An essential read for anyone interested in defending themselves against misinformation and deception in today’s world.
For who is this book for ?
The book is for people who want to be able to protect themselves from manipulation and deception.
- Corcoran’s book is easy to read and filled with examples that make the concepts he discusses relatable.
- He provides a clear overview of each of the ancient liberal arts, making it easy for readers to understand how they can be applied to contemporary issues.
- Restoring Reason is an important reminder that we all need to be vigilant in questioning information sources and analyzing arguments critically in order to make informed decisions.
- It may be difficult to apply the concepts in the book to everyday life.
- The author can come across as condescending at times.
- It’s a bit dry and dense in parts.
Learn more about the author
Travis M. Corcoran is an assistant professor of communication studies at Southern Illinois University Carbondale and the author of Restoring Reason: Using the Ancient Liberal Arts to Defend Against Modern Manipulation. He has also written for The Hill, Salon, The Huffington Post, and other publications.
“A very insightful book on the use of logic and reason in our society. Corcoran does a great job at explaining how to spot manipulation and deception, while also providing ways to resist these tactics. A must-read for anyone who wants to be more informed and rational!”
“In Restoring Reason, Travis M. Corcoran applies the ancient liberal arts tradition to defend against modern manipulation. He argues that by understanding how arguments are made and persuasion is achieved, we can protect ourselves from being misled or taken advantage of.”
“This book is a gem! Corcoran has done an outstanding job of explaining the tools of logic, rhetoric, and dialectic in a way that is both accessible and interesting. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to be better equipped to think critically and make informed decisions.”
“This book is a tour de force! It provides an in-depth examination of the nature and use of reason, rhetoric, dialectic and other ancient liberal arts tools that we can use to defend ourselves against manipulation by others. Corcoran does an excellent job of providing real world examples to illustrate how these tools can be used effectively. This book is must reading for anyone who wants to protect themselves from being misled or taken advantage of.”