In Splintered, Jonathan Butcher offers a critical race theory account of the progressive war on truth. Drawing on examples from K-12 education, higher education, and public discourse more broadly, Butcher shows how an ideal of social justice has replaced reason and evidence as the basis for making policy and cultural arguments. As a result, progressives are increasingly unable to engage in meaningful debate or dialogue with those who hold different views.
For who is this book for ?
This book is for anyone interested in understanding how the ideal of social justice has replaced reason and evidence as the basis for making policy and cultural arguments.
- Butcher’s analysis is timely and provides much-needed insight into the progressive war on truth.
- He offers a clear, concise explanation of critical race theory that is easy to understand for those who are not familiar with it.
- This book will be of interest to educators, students, and anyone concerned about the state of public discourse in America today.
- The author’s argument is difficult to follow at times.
- The book contains a lot of academic language that may be off-putting to some readers.
- It covers a lot of ground, which means that not all topics are given the depth they deserve.
Learn more about the author
Jonathan Butcher is an assistant professor of education policy at the Goldwater Institute and a former senior policy analyst in the Arizona State Department of Education. He has written for numerous publications, including The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, FoxNews.com, Huffington Post, Daily Caller, and Education Week.
“Splintered is an eye-opening read. Butcher provides a much needed analysis of how critical race theory has corrupted our educational and political institutions. He offers clear solutions to help us restore reason and common sense to these important realms.”
“Butcher’s book is a must-read for anyone interested in critical race theory, educational policy, or the state of public discourse in America. It is well written and accessible to a wide audience.”
“Butcher has written a timely and important book.Splintered should be read by everyone who cares about the future of our country.”
“A timely and important book. Butcher provides a clear and concise introduction to critical race theory, and sheds light on the ways in which it is being used to undermine reason, evidence, and democratic debate. This is an essential read for anyone interested in understanding the current state of our political discourse.”