The Bhagavad Gita is a religious text from the Hindu tradition. It was written by Eknath Easwaran, and tells the story of a conflict between two groups of warriors on the battlefield of Kurukshetra. The Gita teaches yogic philosophy and contemplative practices that lead to self-realization.
For who is this book for ?
The Bhagavad Gita is for anyone who wants to learn about the Hindu tradition and its philosophy. It teaches how to live a good life, and how to find peace within oneself.
- The Bhagavad Gita is a religious text from the Hindu tradition.
- It was written by Eknath Easwaran, and tells the story of a conflict between two groups of warriors on the battlefield of Kurukshetra.
- The Gita teaches yogic philosophy and contemplative practices that lead to self-realization.
- The Bhagavad Gita can be dense and difficult to read for some people.
- The teachings in the book may not be relevant or useful for everyone.
- It is a religious text, which means that it might not appeal to everyone.
Learn more about the author
Eknath Easwaran was born in India in 1910 and educated at the University of Madras. He came to the United States in 1959, becoming a citizen in 1963. A professor of English literature, he taught meditation and yoga philosophy for thirty years at Stanford University, where he founded the Blue Mountain Center Of Meditation. Eknath Easwaran is also the author of more than twenty books on passages from spiritual classics that have helped people around the world find their own path to God or inner strength.
“This translation is easily the best I have ever read. Mr. Easwaran’s commentary is insightful and helpful without being excessive or condescending. His line-by-line explication of the Sanskrit makes a difficult work understandable to those without training in Hindu scriptures, yet it does not oversimplify or water down this profound text.”
“This is not a book that you can read and put down. You have to be committed to learning from it.”
“This is a great interpretation of the Bhagavad Gita for modern readers. Easwaran does an excellent job of providing context and making the ancient teachings applicable to daily life.”
“The Bhagavad Gita is a beautiful and profound book that has inspired seekers for centuries. Easwaran’s translation and commentary make this ancient scripture accessible to modern readers, while his introductory essays provide valuable background information. I have read this book many times, and each time I find something new.”