Walter Isaacson’s The Code Breaker is a detailed biography of Jennifer Doudna, one of the scientists responsible for developing CRISPR-Cas9 gene editing technology. It covers her upbringing in Hawaii and Berkeley, California, as well as her cutting-edge work on CRISPR in the lab and its potential implications for human health. Along with discussing Doudna’s personal life and scientific achievements, Isaacson also offers thoughts on the ethical ramifications of gene editing technology.
For who is this book for ?
The Code Breaker is for anyone interested in Jennifer Doudna’s life and work, CRISPR technology, or the ethical implications of gene editing.
- The Code Breaker provides an in-depth look at the life and work of Jennifer Doudna, one of the scientists responsible for developing CRISPR-Cas9 gene editing technology.
- The book is well written and engaging, providing readers with a clear understanding of both Doudna’s personal journey and her scientific achievements.
- Isaacson offers thoughtful insights into the ethical implications of gene editing technology, making The Code Breaker a valuable resource for anyone interested in this topic.
- The Code Breaker is a dense, scientific read that may be difficult for some readers to follow.
- It focuses mainly on Jennifer Doudna’s professional life and doesn’t provide much insight into her personal relationships or motivations.
- The ethical implications of gene editing are only superficially explored, which may leave some readers wanting more.
Learn more about the author
Walter Isaacson is a journalist and the author of biographies of Albert Einstein, Steve Jobs, and Benjamin Franklin. He has also been the CEO of CNN and chairman of the Aspen Institute.
“A fascinating and highly readable account of Jennifer Doudna’s life and work.”
“Walter Isaacson has written a riveting, insightful account of Jennifer Doudna’s life and work. This book is not only an illuminating portrait of one of the world’s great scientists but also provides a window into the ethical debate surrounding gene editing technology.”
“Walter Isaacson has a knack for writing complex scientific biographies that are also highly engaging and entertaining reads. In The Code Breaker, he does an excellent job profiling the work of Jennifer Doudna – one of the pioneers in developing CRISPR-Cas9 gene editing technology. This book is essential reading for anyone interested in science, technology, or the future of humanity.”
“Walter Isaacson tells Jennifer Doudna’s story masterfully, making this a compelling read for scientists and nonscientists alike.”