The Cruel Prince tells the story of Jude, who is sent to live with her cruel aunt and uncle after her parents die. She yearns to return to the faerie world she left years ago, and when she finally does, she discovers that life in Faerie is not as idyllic as she imagined it would be. The people of Faerie are just as treacherous as humans, and Jude must quickly learn how to navigate this dangerous new world if she wants to survive.
For who is this book for ?
The Cruel Prince is a book for young adults. It tells the story of Jude, who moves to Faerie after her parents die. She quickly learns that life in Faerie is not as perfect as she thought it would be, and she must learn how to navigate this dangerous world if she wants to survive.
- The author does a great job of creating a rich and complex faerie world that is truly different from our own.
- The characters are well developed and engaging, especially Jude who is a very strong protagonist.
- The plot is fast paced and exciting, with plenty of twists and turns to keep the reader engaged.
- The author uses a lot of flowery language, which can be hard to follow at times.
- The plot is somewhat slow in the beginning.
- The ending leaves some things unresolved, which may frustrate some readers.
Learn more about the author
Holly Black is the author of bestselling and award-winning books for adults and young people. Some of her titles include The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, the Spiderwick series, Valiant, and The Lynburn Legacy. She lives in New England with her husband and son.
“Holly Black has outdone herself with The Cruel Prince. Filled with court intrigue, deadly faeries, and complex characters, this book is a must-read for fans of fantasy.”
“I loved this book! The characters were well-developed and the plot was exciting. I can’t wait to read the next book in the series.”
“The Cruel Prince is a deliciously dark and sexy read that had me captivated from beginning to end. Holly Black has outdone herself with this story of intrigue, betrayal, and love!”
“The story is well-paced and fast-moving, with plenty of action, adventure, intrigue, and romance to keep readers engaged. The characters are compelling and likable (with the occasional exception), the worldbuilding is richly imaginative, and the ending sets things up nicely for a sequel. Fans of urban fantasy and high fantasy will definitely want to check out this series.”