In her debut book, financial journalist Laura Shin tells the story of the first big cryptocurrency craze and how it was fueled by idealism, greed, and lies. She delves deep into the fascinating characters who propelled Bitcoin and other digital currencies to stratospheric prices before they crashed in spectacular fashion. Along the way, Shin offers a crash course in crypto-anarchy and provides an inside look at this burgeoning new industry.
For who is this book for ?
This book is for those who want to know more about the first big cryptocurrency craze and how it was fueled by idealism, greed, and lies. It also provides a crash course in crypto-anarchy.
- The Cryptopians is a well-written and informative book about the first big cryptocurrency craze.
- Shin does an excellent job of delving into the fascinating characters who propelled Bitcoin and other digital currencies to stratospheric prices.
- This book provides a crash course in crypto-anarchy and offers an inside look at this burgeoning new industry.
- The book is dense and may not be accessible to those without a strong financial background
- It can be repetitive, as Shin often goes back to the same points multiple times
- The narrative jumps around quite a bit, making it difficult to follow the various storylines
Learn more about the author
Laura Shin is a financial journalist and podcast host who has covered the world of cryptocurrency since 2013. She is a senior editor at Forbes, where she edits the wealth channel and writes about cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology.Shin’s journalism has also appeared in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Newsweek, Wired, Slate, Reuters Breakingviews, ConsenSys Media and other publications. In addition to her work as a journalist, Shin lectures on digital currencies at Columbia University’s Graduate School of Journalism and is working on a book about the history of money and digital currencies.
“Shin has written an eye-opening account of the first big cryptocurrency craze….A must read for anyone interested in this fascinating new industry.”
“The Cryptopians is a gripping tale of idealism, greed and lies. Shin takes us on a wild ride through the world of cryptocurrencies, providing an insightful look at this burgeoning new industry. A must-read for anyone interested in money and finance.”
“This book is a must-read for those interested in money, finance, and the history of Bitcoin. It provides great insights into how the first big cryptocurrency craze unfolded – warts and all.”
“Shin has written a masterpiece that not only explains the origins of cryptocurrency and how it works, but also provides an in-depth look at the fascinating personalities behind this technology. The Cryptopians is essential reading for anyone looking to understand the past, present, and future of digital currencies.”