The Power of the Dog is a novel by Thomas Savage about two gay men, Pete and Harry, who fall in love in 1950s America. The book explores their relationship as they face discrimination and violence from both society and their families. Despite the challenges they face, Pete and Harry are determined to find happiness together.
For who is this book for ?
This book is for LGBTQ+ readers who are interested in a historical romance that features gay protagonists.
- The Power of the Dog offers a unique perspective on a rarely seen part of LGBTQ+ history.
- The characters are well developed and their story is compelling.
- It provides an important window into the struggles faced by gay couples in yesteryear.
- The book may be too depressing for some readers.
- It may be difficult to read about such a challenging relationship.
- The plot may not be interesting enough for some readers.
Learn more about the author
Thomas Savage is a gay, American author who writes about LGBTQ+ relationships. The Power of the Dog is his first novel and was published in 2018.
“The Power of the Dog is an important and powerful novel that sheds light on a time in America’s history when LGBTQ+ individuals were persecuted and forced to live in the shadows. Thomas Savage tells the story of Pete and Harry with sensitivity, depth, and compassion, highlighting their resilience in the face of adversity. This moving tale is sure to stay with readers long after they finish reading it.”
“Powerful and moving, The Power of the Dog is a must-read for all who seek to understand love in the face of adversity.”
“The Power of the Dog is a beautifully written and powerful novel about love in the face of bigotry and hate. It’s a heartbreaking, heartwarming story that will stay with you long after you finish reading it.”
“The Power of the Dog is not just a love story, but an important commentary on how intolerance and hate can destroy lives. This novel will stay with you long after you finish reading it.”