Undaunted Courage is a historical narrative of the Lewis and Clark Expedition written by Stephen Ambrose. The book chronicles the two-year journey undertaken by Meriwether Lewis and William Clark between 1804 and 1806, which aimed to explore the uncharted western territory of North America. Along with detailing the expedition’s many encounters with Native American tribes and their cultures, Ambrose also provides insight into the mindset of these early explorers as they faced seemingly insurmountable obstacles in an unfamiliar environment.
For who is this book for ?
Undaunted Courage is a great read for anyone interested in American history, travel and outdoorsmanship. Ambrose’s descriptive writing brings the expedition to life, making it an enjoyable experience for readers of all interests.
- The author does a great job of capturing the spirit of adventure and exploration that drove Lewis and Clark
- He provides interesting perspectives on the various Native American tribes they encountered
- The book is well-researched and contains a wealth of factual information about the expedition
- The author’s writing can be dense at times, making it difficult to get through large sections of the book.
- The expedition is described in great detail, but some readers may find this information boring or too detailed.
- Some historical events are left out of the narrative, which could confuse casual readers who are not familiar with Lewis and Clark’s story.
Learn more about the author
Stephen E. Ambrose was a noted historian and biographer who wrote extensively on the American Civil War and other significant moments in U.S. history. A 1982 recipient of the Pulitzer Prize for History, he also published several bestselling books, including Band of Brothers and D-Day: June 6, 1944. He died in 2002 at the age of 66.
“This is one of the greatest adventure stories ever written, and Ambrose brings it to life with all the color and drama that make history come alive. I traveled along on every step of the journey as if I were right there beside them.”
“This is the story of Meriwether Lewis and William Clark’s exploration from St. Louis to the Pacific Ocean and back, an amazing journey filled with danger, romance, heroism, and heartbreak. Ambrose brings these explorers to life in all their ambition, determination, optimism, and vulnerability. Undaunted Courage brilliantly evokes the American spirit at its finest.”
“Undaunted Courage is a thrilling adventure story that brings to life the heroic journey of Lewis and Clark. With step-by-step detail, Stephen Ambrose escorts readers along on the explorers’ incredible voyage of discovery. This landmark work provides an abundantly rich account of American history and character.”
“This is a thrilling story of American adventure and heroism. It is also a moving glimpse into the psyche of early explorers–the blend of awe, fear, and determination that drove them on.”