Boston Globe columnist Dan Shaughnessy takes readers on a behind-the-scenes tour of the Celtics dynasty that was led by Larry Bird. From his early years in college to his retirement, we follow all the ups and downs of one of basketball’s most iconic players. Along the way, we also get a glimpse into what it was like to be part of this storied team – from head coach Red Auerbach to other legendary players such as Kevin McHale and Robert Parish.
For who is this book for ?
- This book provides great insight into the life of Larry Bird and what it was like to be a part of the Celtics dynasty.
- Shaughnessy does a great job of weaving together personal anecdotes with analysis of games and events.
- The book is well written and easy to read, making it enjoyable for fans of all levels of basketball knowledge.
- The author is a Boston Globe columnist, so there might be a lot of bias.
- It’s been quite some time since the Celtics dynasty happened, so some details may be forgotten or inaccurate.
- The book might be too long for someone who isn’t interested in basketball.
Learn more about the author
Dan Shaughnessy is a sports columnist for the Boston Globe. He has been with the Globe since 1979, and his column “Shaughnessy” appears on Sundays. He was born in Worcester, Massachusetts, in 1954 and graduated from Holy Cross College in 1976. Dan Shaughnessy is a sports columnist for the Boston Globe.
“Shaughnessy does a wonderful job of capturing the highs and lows of Celtic history, as well as giving great insight into Larry’s personality. I couldn’t put it down!”
“If you are a fan of the Boston Celtics, basketball in general, or just a good sports read then this is the book for you. Wish It Lasted Forever takes a detailed look at the life and career of Larry Bird from his days as an Indiana State Sycamore to his time with the Boston Celtics dynasty teams of the 1980s. The author, Dan Shaughnessy who was also a reporter for Sports Illustrated during that era does an excellent job telling all sides to many stories while giving insight on what it was like being around one of (if not) the greatest basketball players ever.”
“This insightful and well-written book provides readers with a detailed account of the life and career of Larry Bird, as well as an inside look at the Celtic’s dynasty in the 1980s. Dan Shaughnessy does an excellent job of capturing all the highs and lows of one of basketball’s most iconic players, while also giving readers a glimpse into what it was like to be part of this legendary team.”
“If you are a Boston sports fan, this is a must read. If you’re not, it will make you one.”