With the Old Breed tells the riveting story of E. B. Sledge, a young Alabama boy who enlists in the Marines to fight in World War II and winds up battling Japanese forces on some of the most brutal battlefields of history. A Marine rifleman through three historic amphibious assaults—on Guadalcanal, Peleliu, and Okinawa—Sledge became one of America’s great battle heroes. Branded “the meanest man alive” by his troops, he was renowned for his ferocious fighting spirit and unbreakable courage under fire. This is an unforgettable account of war that captures both its horror and its passion.
For who is this book for ?
This book is for anyone who wants to read an amazing and true story about World War II. It is a great choice for those interested in history, military history, or biographies.
- This is an unforgettable account of war that captures both its horror and its passion.
- E. B. Sledge’s personal story brings to light the grim reality of what it means to fight in a war as a Marine rifleman.
- This book offers readers insight into the psychological effects that wartime can have on soldiers long after they’ve returned home from battle
- The author does not sugarcoat the horrors of war.
- The story is told from the perspective of a frontline soldier, which provides a unique and personal view on events.
- This book offers an honest look at the brutal realities of combat, which may be too intense for some readers.
Learn more about the author
E. B. Sledge was born and raised in Mobile, Alabama. After earning a Ph.D. from the University of Birmingham, he taught biology at Mississippi College until drafted into the Marine Corps in March 1944.. He saw combat as a rifleman in some of the most vicious fighting of World War II, including the Battle of Peleliu and Okinawa campaign where he was awarded three Bronze Stars with Combat “V” for heroism under fire.
“With the Old Breed is a brutally honest, unvarnished account of one man’s combat experiences in World War II. It is without question one of the most powerful and moving personal narratives to emerge from that conflict.”
“In my opinion, With the Old Breed is one of the greatest books to ever be written about combat and its effects on human beings. Sledge’s honesty,depth perception, and eloquence set this book apart from all others in the genre.”
“This is a classic World War II memoir. E. B. Sledge brings the reader into the horrors of war, but he also brings you understanding and compassion for his fellow soldiers.”
“This is one of the most amazing books I have ever read. Mr. Sledge takes you through everything he went through during World War II as a Marine Raider. He doesn’t hold anything back, and I found myself feeling what he was feeling at different points in the book.”