David Graeber’s “The Dawn of Everything” traces the human experience from its first stirrings in Africa to the present day. Blending history, anthropology and philosophy, he offers a sweeping account of how our species has adapted and evolved over time. From early attempts at agriculture to the modern phenomenon of urbanisation, Graeber paints a rich picture of humanity’s constantly shifting relationship with nature – and one another. Engagingly written and thought-provoking, this is an essential read for anyone interested in what it means to be human.
For who is this book for ?
David Graeber’s “The Dawn of Everything” is for the general reader who has an interest in history, anthropology and philosophy. It gives a sweeping account of how humanity has adapted and evolved over time.
- The Dawn of Everything is a well-researched and thoughtful book that offers an engaging look at the history of humanity.
- Graeber’s analysis is insightful and provocative, providing new insights into familiar topics.
- The Dawn of Everything makes for enjoyable reading, providing interesting perspectives on events both ancient and modern.
- The Dawn of Everything is a dense read that may be tough for some to get through.
- Graeber’s theories and hypotheses can at times be difficult to follow.
- The book provides no clear answers or resolution, leaving readers with more questions than they started with.
Learn more about the author
David Graeber is an anthropologist and author who specializes in political economy, theories of value and violence. He is a central figure in the Occupy Wall Street movement and has been involved in activism related to social justice since the early 1990s.
“fascinating and well-written”
“I finished the book last night and was really impressed. It’s a dense read, but it’s so well-written that it’s never dry or boring. Graeber has a real gift for making complex arguments accessible without dumbing them down.”
“A splendid, sweeping tour of human history from an anthropological perspective. Graeber’s humane and insightful account ranges over everything from the origins of agriculture to theories about why cities appeared.”
“This is an excellent book. It provides a comprehensive, insightful, and highly readable overview of human history from our origins to the present day.”