The Hobbit is a children’s audiobook by J. R. R. Tolkien, adapted for audio by David Salo. The story follows the adventures of Bilbo Baggins, who is asked to help a group of dwarves regain their kingdom from the dragon Smaug.
For who is this book for ?
The Hobbit is a children’s audiobook by J. R. R. Tolkien, adapted for audio by David Salo. The story follows the adventures of Bilbo Baggins, who is asked to help a group of dwarves regain their kingdom from the dragon Smaug.[For listeners ages 10 and up.] Bilbo Baggins is a hobbit who enjoys his comfortable, uneventful life.
- The story is very well written and retains all of the magic of the original novel.
- The narration is excellent, providing a great listening experience for children.
- It’s a perfect way to introduce young listeners to Tolkien’s work.
- The audiobook is abridged and does not include all the details from the original novel.
- The audio quality is poor in some sections.
- David Salo’s interpretation of Tolkien’s lyrics can be difficult to follow at times.
Learn more about the author
J. R. R. Tolkien is the author of The Hobbit, as well as the epic novels The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion. Born in 1892 in Bloemfontein, South Africa, he served in World War I before moving to England, where he taught at Oxford University for more than three decades.
“The Hobbit is a delightful tale, full of humor and suspense.”
“This is a great book for kids and adults! I read it to my 4 year old and he loved it!”
“The Hobbit is one of my favorite books and this audio book does it justice. David Salo’s adaptation brings all the excitement, danger, and fun of Tolkien’s classic to life. He manages to capture each character’s unique voice perfectly, making for a truly immersive experience. I highly recommend this audiobook for anyone who loves The Hobbit.”
“Bilbo Baggins is a hobbit who enjoys a comfortable, uneventful life. But his contentment is disturbed when the wizard Gandalf and a company of dwarves arrive on Bilbo’s doorstep one day to invite him on an adventure. They are searching for treasure that was stolen by the dragon Smaug years before. Bilbo joins the journey, not because he wants to but because he can’t say no.”