A Discovery of Witches is a novel by Deborah Harkness. It tells the story of Diana Bishop, an academic who discovers a copy of Ashmole 782 in Oxford’s Bodleian Library and becomes obsessed with solving its mysteries. She is introduced to Matthew Clairmont, a vampire geneticist who helps her unlock the secrets contained within the book. As they research the manuscript together, they fall in love and are drawn into a conflict between witches and vampires that threatens to tear apart both their worlds.
For who is this book for ?
- The mystery and suspense of the novel kept me hooked until the very end.
- The love story between Diana and Matthew was beautifully written.
- Deborah Harkness does a terrific job at worldbuilding, creating a richly detailed magical universe that feels fully realized.
- The first third of the book is slow
- The ending feels rushed
- It’s a little cheesy in parts
Learn more about the author
Deborah Harkness is a historian and a professor of history at the University of Southern California.
“A Discovery of Witches is a captivating, spellbinding read that sucked me in from beginning to end. It’s one of those books you simply can’t put down!”
“Deborah Harkness has created a masterpiece in A Discovery of Witches. Rich with historical detail, humor, and suspense, it kept me enthralled from beginning to end.”
“The characters are richly drawn and the plot is extremely compelling. I literally could not put this book down.”
“Deborah Harkness has created a wonderfully rich and detailed world, full of magical creatures and spellbinding mystery. A Discovery of Witches is stylish, sexy, and downright addictive.”