Save the Cat! is a step-by-step guide to screenwriting that has become an industry standard. Author Blake Snyder boils down successful screenwriting to its most essential elements, offering helpful exercises and insider tips while demystifying the process. The book also includes interviews with major Hollywood players, from agents to studio executives.
For who is this book for ?
This book is for aspiring screenwriters who want to learn the essential steps to writing a successful screenplay. It offers helpful exercises and insider tips while demystifying the process.
- “Save the Cat!” is a must-read for any aspiring screenwriter.
- The book’s step-by-step approach makes it easy to follow, and the exercises are helpful in getting you started on your own screenplay.
- “Save the Cat!” includes interviews with major Hollywood players, giving you an insider’s perspective on how to break into this competitive industry.
- The book is quite dense and can be a little overwhelming for beginner screenwriters
- It focuses heavily on formulaic writing rather than creativity
- Some of the examples and advice seem outdated in today’s modern movie industry
Learn more about the author
Blake Snyder was a successful screenwriter before he wrote this book (Dawn of the Dead, Cruel Intentions) and his insights are invaluable. Save The Cat! has become an industry standard because it’s one of the clearest guides to writing a screenplay out there – it’s easy to follow and filled with helpful exercises. If you’re serious about screenwriting, then this is definitely the book for you.
“This is the best book on screenwriting I’ve ever read. Blake Snyder understands story structure like no one else, and he breaks it down in a way that’s clear and easy to follow.”
“The perfect book for aspiring screenwriters!”
“A great book for aspiring screenwriters and those already in the business who want to polish their skills. Blake Snyder shares his knowledge of story structure, characterization, pacing and more with authority and insight.”
“Blake Snyder’s Save the Cat is not only a great resource for aspiring screenwriters, but it offers an insightful and entertaining look into how films are made. This book is a must-read for anyone who wants to understand what goes on behind the scenes in Hollywood.”